Executive Director – Call for Applications
The Valle Crucis Community Park is looking for a self-motivated, organized, confident, and sociable person with a desire to serve the community to fill our role of Executive Director. This is a full-time, year round position beginning on or about January 15, 2022.
The Executive Director of the Valle Crucis Community Park has primary responsibility for all Park operations. They serve as the main spokesperson for the Park and are expected to work actively to develop and maintain strategic partnerships within the community. They must demonstrate a commitment to the Park’s mission: “To provide a safe and peaceful recreation resource and gathering space for our community, preserve open space, and educate our visitors about natural resources and the importance of protecting them for future generations.” We are very excited to find the right person to fill this role and encourage all qualified applicants to apply by submitting a cover letter, resume, and list of references to email@example.com.
The Executive Director reports to the Valle Crucis Park Board of Directors and will be responsible for a variety of tasks which are outlined in the job description below.
Valle Crucis Community Park
Executive Director – Call for Applications
The Board of Directors of the Valle Crucis Community Park invites applications for the position of Executive Director of the Park. This is a full-time, year round position beginning on or about January 15, 2022.
ABOUT THE PARK
Valle Crucis Community Park is located in the heart of historic Valle Crucis, North Carolina. The Park was established in 1983 through the actions of dedicated local residents and a generous donation of land to create a unique community resource available to all. The Park now comprises 28 acres of preserved parkland bordered by the Watauga River, a designated “outstanding” waterway. The Park includes three covered picnic shelters, a playground, a Park office with a community meeting space, a wedding gazebo, over a mile of walking trails, a stage, sports fields, and other amenities. The beautiful valley setting of the Park attracts thousands of visitors each year for daily recreation and special events, including the popular Music in the Valle held every Friday through the summer season. In addition, the Park hosts a wide variety of educational events throughout the year with particular emphasis on our water resources and native flora and fauna, and is designated as a North Carolina Environmental Education center.
Valle Crucis Community Park was incorporated in 1985 and is a non-profit entity. The Park is privately funded through donations, grants, and use fees, and has a strong donor base.
POSITION DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Executive Director of the Valle Crucis Community Park has primary responsibility for all Park operations. This position requires a willingness and ability to work during non standard hours for meetings and events. The Executive Director serves as the main spokesperson for the Park and is expected to work actively to develop and maintain strategic partnerships within the community. They must demonstrate a commitment to the Park’s mission: “To provide a safe and peaceful recreation resource and gathering space for our community, preserve open space, and educate our visitors about natural resources and the importance of protecting them for future generations.”
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicating with Park users and donors, expanding the donor base, and donor stewardship including solicitation of major gifts
- Fundraising and grant writing,
- Managing the overall Park budget,
- Supervising staff including an Associate Director and 3-5 part-time/seasonal employees, ● Work with Board to plan and coordinate Park Board meetings, and facilitating the work of Board subcommittees,
- Monitoring and maintaining the overall condition of Park land and facilities, ● Coordinating event reservations, scheduling and coordinating the Music in the Valle series and other major fundraising events in the Park,
- Maintaining the Park’s Web and social media presence.
CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Exceptional writing, listening, and public speaking skills.
- 2-4 years experience in a supervisory role with the ability to motivate a team including both volunteer and paid personnel.
- Have a proven capacity to organize and coordinate projects and programs, including major fundraising events.
- Demonstrate the capacity to effectively plan for and manage an annual budget of ~ $300,000.
- Demonstrate an ability to effectively use the Internet, local news outlets, and social media to advertise Park events and to make regular connections with Park donors and users.
Preferred Qualifications: The successful candidate will:
- Have at least three years’ professional experience in roles with decision-making authority and supervisory responsibilities.
- Understand the fundamentals of non-profit administration, and ideally have had direct engagement in projects within a non-profit environment.
- Have experience with grant writing and, preferably, with garnering funding from private foundations.
- Have a Master’s Degree in relevant field
- Demonstrate proficiency in relevant technology such as Google Suite, Microsoft Excel, Quickbooks, and database management software.
- Have the ability to initiate and set goals for programs according to the strategic objectives of the organization and to plan the programs from start to completion involving deadlines, milestones, and processes.
In addition, the successful candidate will demonstrate:
- A strong work ethic and the ability to work independently.
- A high level of organizational skill, and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Effective outreach abilities, including an ability to work with both public and private organizations in the community, engage with current and potential Park donors, and develop strategic partnerships to further the Park’s mission.
- Creativity in development of promotional materials for the Park.
- A sincere personal commitment to conservation, Park stewardship, and environmental education.
- Interest in professional development activities to expand knowledge of best practices in non-profit management.
- Availability to work on weekends and evenings during the summer season, and when required for events such as monthly Board meetings.
The salary range is $48,000 – $51,000 plus benefits, commensurate with education and experience. Valle Crucis Community Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, or national origin.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND TIMELINE
Completed applications will be reviewed beginning December 15, 2021. The position will remain open until filled. Interested applicants should submit (1) a cover letter addressing their qualifications in relation to the position description, (2) a current resume, and (3) the names and contact information for three references. Completed applications should be compiled into a single PDF file and submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org